After witnessing what had to have been the worst ref in the entire history of youth sports officiate my son’s 5th grade game today, I have to wonder what the job application looks like for someone to become a ref. Side note: if I am ever arrested, it is definitely going to be for assaulting a ref at one of my kids’ games.
I happened to get my hands on the job application and I thought I’d share it with you, so you can see the screening process is quite thorough.
JOB APPLICATION FOR REFEREE FOR YOUTH SPORTS
- State your name
- Did you just say “your name” out loud? a) I said my actual name b) no c)yes
- Do you currently have a pulse? a) yes b) no c) how do I check?
- Do you wear glasses/contacts? a) yes b) no c) I am legally blind
- What is your level of education? a) high school grad/GED b) college c) raised in a barn
- What color is a basketball?
- Identify the basketball in the following photos:
8. Do you know how to blow a whistle?
Seriously, that is it! That’s all you need to do to apply to be a ref for youth basketball. Makes sense now, huh?